Hi Laura and Others,

   We do peer/self assessments with our first year medical students 4-5
times in the first year, less in the second year.  The end of course
assessments are usually summative. The rest are formative.  Students get a
quantitative score based on a series of Likert scale questions, and they get
a score on their ability to write high quality peer-feedback to their team
mates. Each student receives a report of the results which are kept
anonymous.

    We noted that student acceptance of peer assessment and their ability to
write appropriate feedback was significantly improved after incorporating a
training session on writing peer feedback that we do as a TBL application
during orientation. In addition to grading their comments, we provide
critiques and suggestions for improvement on the first two assessments that
they complete (one formative and one summative.)

To view our assessment form and for more discussion see  the IAMSE TBL
Webinar site (as already noted by Jim Sibley on this forum), 9/30 - Voices
of Experience. For great discussion of TBL and Peer Evaluation see the Oct
7th session on Peer Evaluation. These can be viewed at:
http://www.iamse.org/development/2010/was_2010_fall.htm

Ed McKee

Edward E. McKee, Ph.D. Associate Professor Biochemistry and Molecular
Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine - South Bend

(574) 631-7193