Has anyone had successful experiences with an Aspergers student in a TBL setting? I currently have an advanced UG in my class who has Aspergers, and it appears to me that it is difficult for him to participate in group communication. He is a bright student with a B+ average, but avoids eye contact unless directly spoken to, and has not said a word in class that I'm aware of, except when I have directly spoken to him. The campus disabilities resource center is working with me, and I am going to find out whether the student is willing to share the information with team-mates, which I think would be extremely helpful. I have the information that in other classes he has thrived with instructors using a Socratic method (I'm guessing that means direct and open-ended questions to him). But, if anyone has experience, I would welcome suggestions.

Thanks,
Kathy

Kathryn J. McKnight
Associate Professor of Spanish
Associate Director for Academic Programs
Latin American & Iberian Institute
MSC 02 1690
801 Yale Blvd NE
1 University of New Mexico