Bill,

One idea is to start class by explaining the facts of the event, combined with
either a key paragraph from a news report or a video clip on the screen.
Write one multiple choice discussion question that gives them a choice
of four possible causes of the event, or four likely consequences of the event,
or four possible ways to deal with the event if they were the key decision
maker.  Students first discuss in teams, then use voting cards, followed
by a class discussion.  All of this can be done in about 15 minutes and
would not be graded.  If the event relates to material you have already covered,
remind them of this fact in case it would help with the dicussion.  If it relates
to material that you will cover in the future, use this discussion to emphasize the
importance of the future material.

Any ideas on how to improve this process would be appreciated!

Rick

--
Rick Goedde
Director of Management Studies