Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've sent the students an email saying they can't do this, and that we will re-weight the grades on Thursday. Hopefully I haven't crushed their enthusiasm for TBL, but it was sounding worse and worse the more I talked to other faculty (and administrators) about it.
-Melissa