I've never worked with such large groups, and with my students I suspect that larger groups would promote more laziness in certain students who love to get a free ride.  I think some of my students would also remain silent during team discussions if the team was too big--smaller groups make it easier to ensure that everyone speaks (an important goal since I teach language). But it sounds like you are seeing some positive aspects in your class, so perhaps it would work with them.

Christine