Hello Jennifer and List,

Let me also ask for the wisdom of the group about an alternative method that I am tempted to try this year.

In the past, I've used heterogeneous, instructor-chosen groups. Group work in the class session that I introduce these groups, usually a couple of weeks into the semester, goes notably better than previous sessions with randomly-created groups.  I mix skill levels, paying attention gender, race and ethnicity (so that women or minorities are not isolated) and to the odd or disruptive students,  or other special needs such as English-language learners.

That's how I've formed groups for the last twenty years. This spring, I was confronted by a colleague who suggested that I try in-class group formation based on the procedure described below. She maintains that students know who was the "smarty" and who was the "dummy" put in groups formed by the instructor, and don't like it.  She pointed out that this alternative method helps students identify good behavior in groups and, in her experience, it leads to well-functioning groups.

The alternative works as follows: first, students identify qualities desired for group members (typically the list will include: shows up on time; always comes prepared; has a sense of humor; listens to others etc.) Students are then asked to rank themselves (privately) on these attributes. Groups are then formed by choosing an attribute, and asking students who ranked this highly to raise their hands. Counting off one, two... etc. put those students in group one, two,...etc. Then go on to the second attribute, ask again for students who ranked themselves highly, count off for group number. Proceed until all students have been distributed to the desired number of groups.

Has anyone had experience with this alternative method?

Thanks,

Mark