Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've sent the students an email saying
they can't do this, and that we will re-weight the grades on Thursday.
Hopefully I haven't crushed their enthusiasm for TBL, but it was sounding
worse and worse the more I talked to other faculty (and administrators)
about it.
-Melissa