Cheers!

Tammy Tobin
Susquehanna University

On 7/13/10 4:23 PM, "Lamsal, Buddhi P [FSHNA]" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Has anyone tried TBL for food science? I teach a senior level course ‘Food Processing’ and was thinking of using TBL; seems a bit too late for this fall. I would be interested in application questions (problems to solve), RAT questions (of course, content dependent) and like.
thanks
---
Buddhi Lamsal
515-294-8681

From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lori Schirmer
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TBL Question: Mechanism for Recording Take-Away Points/Notetaking?

Mike,

That sounds really cool!

Eileen,

We also received similar feedback from students after their first TBL experience.  We developed a lower-tech way to address their concerns.  It also has been a nice way to ease faculty who were mostly lecturers into TBL.  We display in class (and post only after class, not before) the "summary slides".  They are simply 1 or 2 ppt slides with the take home message (but not the details of the "answer") after each application exercise that visibly and explicitly link the exercise to the behavioral objectives.  I think it made a huge difference and students have responded very positively.  Students still take lots of notes in class but it helps them organize their notes and takes the pressure off if they happened to miss a part of the discussion.

Powerpoint slides are something of a security blanket to our students because that's the majority of their class materials prior to the course sequence where we use TBL.

Lori