I find this five minute rule fascinating.  Does anyone fear that a team or individual that might finish quickly will hold back so as not to put pressure on their class mates.?  Also, do you allow students to talk, leave the classroom or review while waiting for the others to finish?

Bender, Holly S [V PTH] wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Great explanation of the 5 minute rule Derek.
Derek was responding to my question in 2004 in the link below and I have been using it ever since.  I love the 5 minute rule!  It never fails.  It automatically adjusts the timing of each exercise to fit its perceived difficulty.  Before I used the 5 minute rule, I was not able to predict the difficulty of each exercise with accuracy.  Each year, I typically have several students with learning disabilities in my class, but they now elect to participate in RATS with their classmates because this rule allows sufficient time for them to complete the exercises as well.  When we used bubble sheets, I used the procedure Derek describes below.  Now that our students all have tablet computers, we do our in class quizzing online.  I put a piece of paper called a "done ticket" for each student in their team folder.  The Done Ticket is a picture of a movie theater ticket with the word Done printed on it.   When each student completes their iRAT, they submit their Done Ticket to a team representative.  When all of a team's Done Tickets are collected by the representative, that person uses a team clicker to register that the team is done.  This shows up on the projection screen in a response grid.  Once the first team clicks in, this starts the 5 minute rule.  It takes the all of the angst and grief out of timing and everyone relaxes.
Thank you!
Holly