Dear Ron,

I taught biostatistics in Public Health for about 15 years. With some extra
planning effort, there is no other way to go.

I slowly decreased the number textbook problems and increased the number of
laboratory type exercises over time.

For example, to introduce the software I did the following. I found a data
set I liked, boating accidents over time in the US, reported by the Coast
Guard, and gave the students my own analysis of quarterly data using graphs,
tables, etc. All purely descriptive. I then e-mailed the materials and data
or put them on Blackboard, then put them in the  computer room, and got them
started doing their own analysis to reproduce the report but using a
different time interval for everything. The group part was to plan their
analysis, even though they had a prototype.  When they asked how to do a
specific thing my usual response was to help them find the page in their
software manual.

I always chose a software package that could be learned in 30-60 minutes. I
preferred Stata. SAS is clearly a dog and should be avoided like the H1N1 or
worse.

Each week after the RA, I had groups work together to plan their textbook
problem solutions and then give them to the whole class. Each group had 2-5
problems.

I never succeeded in having them plan a problem solution and then assess
whether they would get a solution. They had been severely brainwashed by
American math education into believing that each problem had one
solution; they were determined to find it for each problem sequentially.

Real problems in statistics don't have clear, simple solutions. Everything
in real statistics is about exercising thoughtful judgement: choosing the
p-value, deciding if the data satisfies the usual assumptions, choosing a
test among plausible alternatives, and deciding how to write about it.

 The only way I could overcome this is to give them problems that that
complex solutions, such as the boating accidents, or different solutions,
eg, each student had a different data set, and required preparing a more
sophisticated answer. After a few years about half their work was on
textbook problems (my friend Andy described these as "toy problems")  and
about half was on more complex cases that I had designed myself.

If you have "writing across the curriculum" like most places now, you can
have some good writing assignments with statistics. For example, they can
rewrite something that has been published but to a specific standard for
information and clarity. People have to explain what they have done and what
it means, to different audiences. There is some good material today on clear
use of tables and graphics with data. Choosing to use a graph, table, or
text is a challenge.

You can satisfy most of the student demands for foolish talk with a
mini-lecture on each topic.

Most statistical topics take a week in an introductory course. It is nearly
impossible to ask them to read two or three chapters for an RA. (They know
this is just wrong!) I ended up giving an RA nearly every week as a result.
A text that organizes statistical methods in a different way might
facilitate more integrated presentation of several topics but the books just
aren't written that way.

I used TBL in courses that met once a week for three hours and twice a week
for an hour and a half. The rhythm of events was different but both could be
worked out. For the former I had to go from an RA through group
presentations and on to a mini-lecture on the next topic all in one session.
For the latter the group work on problems always broke over two sessions.
The latter was more flexible since I could schedule some topics for one
session and others for two or occasionally three.

I stopped giving the students autonomy in the grading components after about
three years. No one appreciated it, coming to agreement was nearly
impossible, and they thought they could strongly manipulate their grades
through it.

I rarely had groups that worked poorly. I used groups of 5 or 6, never 7,
and rarely 4. I know what others recommend about smaller groups but my least
successful groups were always size 4.

But don't ever forget that they have brainwashed about what math is. They
believe that statistics is just the same. Some students will be very unhappy
about not finding the same thing in your course. But they can't if you use
TBL.

Best wishes,

David Smith

--