We have a Team-Based Learning Special Interest Group (TBL-SIG) on our campus for faculty using or interested in using TBL. A question came up in a recent meeting that I would like to bring to this group for responses.

A faculty member who uses TBL in one course would like to expand to using it in another course but has a concern over a possible issues with team formation and cohesiveness. About 60% of the students who enter that course are from one academic program while the rest come from a variety of programs. The chance is very high that the students who are in the same program know each other by that time. The concern is whether TBL advantages would be appreciably reduced because students from that program could easily form sub-groups or cliques within a team, and it could impact team cohesiveness. Diverse teams would certainly include multiple students from this group placed in each team.

Has anyone had a similar experience and words of wisdom about how to form and develop group cohesiveness under this predictable condition?

Thanks so much!

Kathy

Kathy Ross, Ph.D.

Director, Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment

Indiana University Kokomo

2300 South Washington KO-083A

P. O. Box 9003

Kokomo, IN 46904-9003