Dianne,

First, a question; then a thought to consider.

The question:  How many units does your course have?
       Often people find that 4 to 7 is an optimum number of units for a semester-length term.

The thought:  Instead of giving a multiple-choice exam at the end of each unit, what would you think about having a culminating project, done by the groups?
       A culminating project would be an activity that would call for students to use what they have studied during the past 2-3 weeks.  Then, as you go from unit to unit, these projects can become more challenging and can integrate the topics of later units with the topics of earlier units.
       Or, if you want more individual accountability, what some people like, is to alternate: one unit with an individual test and the next unit have a group project.  But even then, the individual test should have an significant application component as well as testing whether they "got" the content knowledge.

Some of these ideas come from my book on course design (Creating Significant Learning Experiences).  One of the ideas in it is that a good course design has a good teaching strategy, and TBL is a superb teaching strategy.  A second idea is that of educative assessment (which was created and named by Grant Wiggins).
      One of the central ideas of educative assessment is that of needing to use authentic or forwarding-looking assessment tasks.  An authentic task is one the students can look at and say: "Wow, that is something that I might have to do with this knowledge after I leave college, and this task calls for me to use what I have learned about this subject."
      Multiple choice tests are useful for assessing whether students "got" the content knowledge; they are not as good as other procedures at replicating authentic tasks, e.g., decision making, problem solving, making choices, etc.
       So, putting these two ideas together, using a good strategy like TBL, which you are already doing, and then incorporating some powerful ideas about how to assess student learning at the end of each unit (borrowing from the concept of educative assessment), would make a powerful combination.

Good luck!    -Dee Fink