Stan,
I can tell you that if you have the flexibility to channel things to a
format where you can have synchronous/live/hybrid online courses and have or
get access to a robust virtual classroom tool such as Elluminate, you can
fairly easily translate TBL to online.

In particular, the well thought out "break out rooms" feature in Elluminate
has made it a snap for me to distribute students to their team "rooms" for
work on team application exercises, and then bring everyone back together in
the main room for simultaneous revealing of results via the room's
whiteboard for inter-team debate/dialog.

I am in my first quarter of doing a true TBL approach with my hybrid history
course and for simplicity sake, I did not incorporate the Team RAQ/RAT/RAP
piece until I was sure of the live sessions team mechanics and dynamics
(instead they do the RAT/RAP individually via automated Blackboard multiple
choice quizzes). Being very happily surprised with how this has worked,
Phase II will be bringing in the RAT/RAP piece for Summer quarter.

While I am still doodling and eager to hear others' experiences to help
refine my approach, I will be bringing in the team RAT/RAP process next
quarter. My best thinking of the moment is using our Blackboard server to
open up a time-released window 15-20 minutes before our Elluminate session
for each student to do the automated individual quiz. I will then start our
Elluminate session with the team quiz and do rounds of the team break out
rooms indicating verbally or via the white-board which answers are
right/wrong and then move on to the next team until all team's
finish their quizzes. Then using Blackboard's instant aggregate stats and
team quiz notes, do my mini lecture on the tricky parts and then lead into
application exercises.

How are others doing this and what are your experiences TBL-ing online? :)
-Mike

Mike Welker
History Adjunct Faculty
& Interim Coordinator, Distance Learning
North Central State College
Mansfield, Ohio
(419) 755-4706 - ofc.
Room 163 Kehoe (Shelby)
Campus Mail: AT-27

"Remember, I'm pulling for you... we're all in this together. Keep your
stick on the ice." -Red Green