On Feb 25, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Zoghby, Kathy wrote:

I truly hope she will not come back, and that solves the issue, but I also never want this to happen again!

Kathy,

I know you're focused on getting through the next seven weeks, and I truly do empathize. But toward your final point above, I'm curious how you (or we) might be able to prevent this by making the TBL format explicit in a catalog or schedule of classes description for those who are browsing, or a syllabus for those who register and show up the first day. Do you describe the TBL format "in advance"? Do you include links to the TBL site (which has video examples of TBL in action)? Is it even appropriate, desirable or necessary to make one's teaching delivery format explicit? Do other courses? Should they have to?

Apart from managing expectations of students, I think explicit "previews" or descriptions also make a statement about your right to teach the class in the way you see fit. If you happen to have evidence that students do as well or better on standardized assessments compared with traditional formats, great. But even without that, I think your subject matter expertise also requires a continual exploration of the best way to share it with students, and (better) engage them to become more aware of their own learning and the role others play in that.

As such, if students just can't stomach it, then they are free to drop the class or not register at all. And if your enrollments drop, your class won't continue. But until students actually vote with their feet, if there is no other class (or format) that meets their traditional expectations, I would hope your colleagues or dean would support the notion that sometimes in life, our students will encounter necessary challenges to their own thinking. As educators, we may even have an ethical obligation to create such experiences to teach students how to negotiate differences in thought or experience as gracefully and respectfully as possible.

Hang in there,

John

John Fritz
Asst. Vice President