Dear Karla,

Sorry for the late responses.  I'm going through some old emails, trying
to catch up on some things.

We are fortunate that we don't have to work within a 50 min class, so I
probably cannot judge best how many questions to present, but I thought
I would share a few strategies that we have been using to manage time a
bit.

We used to do one question at a time - but that often left very little
time for the last questions.  The advantage was that subsequent
questions could not inadvertently reveal the answer to earlier
questions.  But to budget time better and still keep some control over
revealing answers we wait until all the questions are answered before we
give out answers, but we give the questions out in a staged manner.  We
tell the students how many questions there are, how many points per
question, and how much time they have.  Then they can pace themselves
through the questions, getting only certain questions at a time.  Once
they submit their responses, they get the next set of questions.

So, as an example, if we had 5 questions, but say 3 & 4 were follow-up
to 1 & 2.  We didn't want a wrong answer in 1 & 2 to impact how they
answered 3 & 4.  So we would give 1 & 2 first.  Once teams submit their
answers (either using team clicker if it is a MCQ type question, or
write on paper, but submit answer), they get the next set of questions.
The next set will generally illuminate the direction they were supposed
to go - "given that the answer to 2 was x....." then the next question.
This allows us to build up on previous questions without explanation
(yet), but doesn't permit the students to work off of a wrong premise.
Then, when time is over for answering, we go through the responses.

When the responses are not MCQ type - we used to use big paper and even
white boards to have students put up responses, but it was a bit messy
and teams could see other people's responses.  Right now we are having
them write their answers on small pieces of paper, which they turn in
once done (to get next question), and we tape it to a sheet of paper by
team.  Except for perhaps the last question, faculty get a chance to
look over the responses, ponder the points, and strategize how they want
to facilitate the discussion among the class.  We then use a visualizer
(like a camera that can show what is on a table and project on to the
screen) for the simultaneous reporting.  Of course we only have 8 teams
- so that fits nicely on one page.

If we had more teams we would have to explore some other options.

WE HAVE CHANGED OUR EMAIL ADDRESS - PLEASE CHANGE TO

Sandy COOK, PhD | Associate Dean, Curriculum Development | Medical
Education, Research, and Evaluation (MERE) | Duke-NUS Graduate Medical
School Singapore | Khoo Teck Puat Building | 8 College Road

Singapore |169857 | W: (65) 6516 8722| F: (65) 6227 2698 | email:
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  | web:
http://www.duke-nus.edu.sg <http://www.gms.edu.sg/> ;

Administrative Executive: Belinda Yeo | [log in to unmask] |
6516-8511

Important:  This email is confidential and may be privileged.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us
immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose
its contents to any other person.  Thank you.