Marla,
Kudos to you for diving in to the world of TBL, especially with an established "safe" base and being an adjunct! I know how tenuous it can especially be as a fellow adjunct, blazing new trails with TBL at a college :p

Now, what to do about this class?? I would first maybe carve out some time to revisit your 1st day orientation to TBL and the research/rationale behind it - the highlights if you will. I would also encourage you to emphasize the "What's in it for them" aspect. After the first RAT, hopefully there is some tentative data indicating that the team scores are better than individual scores? If so, break out those stats and illustrate what the numbers are saying in helping students grades. I simply average their individual RATs with the team RATs, and the average is the only number that goes in the grade book for a given RAT. Hopefully, also, you are using a team folder where they are recording this data for themselves. Urge some patience and to give TBL a try and that one place they can see the benefits to their grade is the team folder each week. Also, maybe a mini-lesson on the difference between FORMATIVE "forward looking" assessments and traditional SUMMATIVE backward looking assessments?

Next, make clear the connections between their RAT results and how you are using that to "customizing" the next class session(s). Powerpoint has a tool where you can insert a bar chart for a slide, and I use this to open the class following a RAT and show how the class' performance on specific questions will influence how much/little activities/time we devote to what.

Another way to hopefully defuse the RAT tension that I have done to what I feel is some success, is to start out with an exercise to focus on their initial questions. The weekend before a RAT, I have the students post in Blackboard their "muddiest Points" form the readings. That Tuesday, we then start class with a powerpoint slide that compiles the most common questions. Then each team has to pick 1-2 muddy points and go into the text to come up with an answer. After the teams report out, I will briefly respond to any confusion/inaccuracies in the team responses. Then I give them 3-5 minutes as a team to go through the RAT study guides I gave them last session before the weekend. Then I administer the RATs. So it is not being didactic about the content before the quiz, but focused on getting some initial questions answered and then comparing notes on their study guide notes. Even still, through 1 minute paper feedback at the end of class, I still find that I need to keep reminding them about the FORMATIVE nature of the RATs.

One final idea is to do away with the team challenges after the RAT. This probably highlights my short comings, but I have found the challenges create an adversarial environment that leads to drawn out confrontations more often than not. If teams invest the time in writing the challenge, more often than not, they will be highly motivated to get something for their work, even if it is just derailing/disrupting class time on a lost cause.

Keep at it... takes time to get it done and get it right.... and even then there always new wrinkles :) But keep the faith in the reasons that convinced you this was worth it to begin with!
-Mike Welker

History Adjunct
North Central State College
Mansfield, Ohio

"Remember, I'm pulling for you... we're all in this together. Keep your stick on the ice." -Red Green