Christine et al.:

At the suggestion of a student, I give 4 point, if they get it on the first
scratch; then 2 points on the second scratch, then 1, and then .5.

The students think this is funny.  It's obsessively complicated but they
also appreciating the logic/fairness, that it is much better to get it on
the first scratch than the second scratch.

Best,  Fritz Laux
---