  From: Herb Coleman
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 6:36 PM
  Subject: How to handle disinterested students

  Usually, I can tell when students are not going to make it because they
  stop coming to class. I have a couple of students in an Intro to Psych
  class taught on a Sunday afternoon, that seem totally disinterested.
  They don't seem to give much in the way of discussion to the group and
  only help with the mechanics, (writing up or entering the teams
  answers). Their iRATs are abysmal. We are ending our first unit so this
  will also be our first peer reviews so I hope these things will take
  care of themselves. I also plan to directly address the offenders. I was
  just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before?

  --

  Herb Coleman,Ph.D
  Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology

  ---Professor Melvin Tolson
      from the motion picture "The Great Debaters"