Larry,

1) I pair the groups randomly, but work to get them in front of a new group each time as it offers a set of 'fresh eyes'.
2) Yes, I have the groups get up so that they are standing when presenting to one another. It's usually done on the periphery and in the aisles of the lecture hall.  I typically have them record their group work on a sheet of flip chart paper.  So, during the presentations you end up seeing two people holding up their group's flip chart paper and a presenter pointing to key points on the sheet during the presentation.

Students in my class are conditioned to working in groups, as we do it most every class period.  Therefore, collaborating to complete a SWOT analysis or make recommendations on marketing strategy is nothing new to them.  I just post the assignment in a powerpoint slide or hand it out in class and ask them to get into their groups to complete it with a deadline of generally 20 - 25 minutes.  They are also informed of what we'll do with their results.  This often includes telling them that they will be presenting their results to another group and that they will be expected to justify their findings or recommendations.

Another approach that I've used in large lecture halls is to have each group tape their flip chart paper on the walls along the lecture hall and have a representative presenter from each group standing next to the paper at the completion of the exercise. We then go through a process of 'speed presenting', where each presenter is given one minute to present something unique from their group.  Presenters are not allowed to repeat information given by other groups, which puts pressure on them to be focused on what others are saying.  The whole process keeps everyone in the room engaged.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Tom

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Tom