I am putting together a manuscript currently entitled "Valuing Teams:  What Influences Student Attitudes?" and my question to everyone out there is this:

Are there references/previous research about the influence of team based learning on student attitudes about working with peers, how demographics relate to attitudes about working with others, or other potentially relevant articles?

I appreciate any ideas and will compile and post what I receive if people want to just respond to me directly rather than to the listserve.  To provide a little more background:  I administered a survey about students' attitudes toward working with peers to five different classes between Fall 2007 and Spring 2009.  Three were introductory level economics and two were intermediate level.  I gave students the same survey at the beginning of the semester, before explaining anything about how I was going to conduct my class, and at the end of the semester, after a pretty intensive TBL experience for the students.  I have found attitudes toward working in groups and working with peers to be significantly more positive at the end of the semester for the introductory level courses.  Also, in the intermediate level courses, about 60% of the students were taking their second TBL class with me and they entered the class with attitudes on par with how the students left the introductory level class, suggesting that improved attitudes stay with them.  Note that not all of these students chose to take my class:  it is required for at least 90% who take the intro course and virtually all who take the intermediate level course.  I'm also analyzing how demographics relate to these attitudes and attitude changes.

Thanks in advance!

Molly Espey
Department of Applied Economics and Statistics
263 Barre Hall
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634
(864) 656-6401