________________________________

From: Sibley, Jim
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Summary of Word of Wisdom Workshop at TBL Conference in Austin

Hi All

Here is the summary of the workshop participants work from my workshop.

We looked at 3 TBL listesrve threads and 2 interesting articles on
student resistance and fair grading

The discussion around Grading application Activity generated lots of
conversation...BUT few specifics

1) Some Instructors don't grade activities
2) Some instructors thinking not grade will reduce motivation or reduce
attendance
3) Common activity at end is that teams provide a short written
rationale of their decision

The discussion around Assessment (peer evaluation, grade weight setting)

1) peer evaluation is desirable to allow differentiation of team marks
for individual contribution
2) student sometimes underrate and overrate - always overrate when for
marks
3) grade weighting activities can increase student buy-in
4) student generated performance criteria can increase student buy-in

The discussion around Student Resistance

1) Clearly and frequently explain your rationales for using  TBL
2) Demonstrate TBL to orient your students
3) start with easier activities and progress difficulty as student
comfort and confidence increases
4) Resistance is normal....don't let a a few complaints make you assume
that everyone is unhappy
5) Discuss resistance openly in class - power of majority can sometimes
silence a vocal minority

Common Student Words

1) we are teaching ourselves
2) testing before teaching make no sense
3) you are paid to teach
4) this is too much work
5) I don't want my grade to depend on teamwork
6) I want to form my own team

Attached is a summary of the analysis, the raw Dacum's,

and here is a link

http://teambasedlearning.apsc.ubc.ca/austin articles.zip
<http://teambasedlearning.apsc.ubc.ca/austin articles.zip>

to all the articles analyzed

Jim Sibley
Director
Centre for Instructional Support
Faculty of Applied Science
University of British Columbia
2208-6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6T 1Z4

Phone 604.822.9241
Fax 604.822.7006

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.learning.apsc.ubc.ca <http://www.learning.apsc.ubc.ca/>
e-Portfolio:
http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/wiki/index.php/Jim_Sibley_Portfolio

Please submit  support requests for WebCT to our help desk at
http://cis.apsc.ubc.ca/helpdesk/ <http://cis.apsc.ubc.ca/helpdesk/>

(c) Copyright 2009, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information
contained in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively
"message") is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the
recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution,
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail,
and delete the original message.