Christine:

We use the Myers-Briggs assessment, paying attention especially to Learning Preferences, in getting a balance on the Team. We also balance on Extroversion, Introversion, and work to include at least 1-SF or 1- NF (feeling) tendency on each team... a pat of Type in generally low supply in this class, for some reason, with lots of STs and somewhat fewer NTs (as well as other factors, like class, major, how much economics they have taken before coming into this class, in that non-majors/about 2/3 of class, have had only one course, etc). Colleagues in our Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communication Department coordinate the scoring, as well as come into class for one session, before we form the teams, to help students understand Type preferences, and how these preferences relate to/might affect Team interaction.

Gary D. Lynne, Professor
Department of Agricultural Economics and
School of Natural Resources
103B Filley
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68583-0922
Website: http://www.agecon.unl.edu/facultystaff/directory/lynne.html
Phone: 1-402-472-8281 Cell: 1-402-430-3100

"We are always only one failed generational transfer of knowledge away from darkest ignorance" (Herman Daly)
"We do not just have our own interests. We share interests with others. Empathy is neither altruistic nor self-interested. It rather exemplifies the implicit solidarity of human nature" (Robert Solomon)
----- Forwarded by Gary D Lynne/AgEcon/IANR/UNEBR on 02/03/2009 10:04 AM -----

cc

Subject

personality tests for creating teams

Hello Everyone,

I seem to remember that once someone mentioned dividing teams by
personality type.  In May I'll be having the same group of students I
had last year.  Last year's teams were divided by English proficiency
(distributing talents equally among teams).  I'd like to try something
different this time, but since the group is otherwise homogeneous (all
20-something Japanese medical students in their 3rd year), the only
thing that seems feasible is dividing by personality types.

Can anyone recommend a good free printable version of a personality
inventory I could use on the first day of class?

Thanks!
Christine

--
*******
Christine Kuramoto, Assistant Professor: Medical English