Hi All,
I too give students credit for the team RAT whether present or not.  When absent, of course, they do not get credit for their iRAT.  The rationale for this became clear to me when I heard Larry Michaelsen speak about it.   I teach veterinary students who will likely be in team situations for the rest of their careers.  If they go out into a private practice situation, someone will have to pick up their appointments if they are sick or at a conference.  Likewise, they will have to pick up appointments when their colleagues are absent.  As long as everyone works together it all works out.   That is where the peer evaluation component comes in-- to even things out if they get out of balance. I think that it is great practice for life.   In practice, most will draw a salary even when sick, but won't advance very far if they don't pull their weight.
Best,
Holly
PS I don't give makeup iRATs.  I give about 35 throughout the semester and allow them to drop their lowest 4.