From: Rod Lange <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: getting students to discuss in ENGLISH!
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 10:07 AM

Hi Christine,
I understand your situation. Although I do not use TBL in my classes, I have the same problems getting students to talk in English. You mention the students do not have the knowledge to diagnose medical topics. Is it possible to have them diagnose why they do not discuss the topics in English? They could come up with reasons, then they could look at some ways to address the obstacles they face. This would allow you to have a clearer idea of why they do not work together in English. It would also give you a way to introduce diagnostic skills that they could use later on medical topics.
After you have gathered the information, you could then use the same process you used to have them negotiate their grade weights to negotiate the terms for using English in class. For example, if from their diagnosis a number of students have problems comfortably presenting and defending opinions in English, you could contract with them to give them some ways to overcome this weakness. You could also have them set the results of using or not using English. This way, you are not rewarding or punishing them, they are setting the guidelines. They could use peer or group assessment each class or each week to measure their English usage in class.
One other thing I have also done is specifically identify three times in class: my time (teacher time), your time, and our time. During 'my time' students need to listen. During 'your time' students can use whatever language they want and talk about whatever they want. 'Our time' is our shared time to use and improve our English skills. Maybe you could adapt this to give them some 'your time' to form and discuss their opinions in Japanese in their group. They could then work with another group in English. This would be an 'our time' activity.
I hope these ideas are useful.
Take care,
Rod
__________________________ Rod Lange, InstructorTokyo Denki UniversityDepartment of English LanguageSchool of EngineeringE-mail W: [log in to unmask] H: [log in to unmask]