Hi Christine and all,
I teach clinical pathology where veterinary students learn to make a diagnosis using clinical laboratory data.   Students learn to explain their reasoning in terms of the underlying disturbance in physiology that is indicated by laboratory data abnormalities.  The course focuses on thinking through problems and developing clinical reasoning skills.  A large part of the course is the ability to communicate that reasoning.  I encourage appeals because appeals help students feel empowered to express their reasoning processes.  Appeals also surface misconceptions and miscommunications that get in the way of understanding important course concepts.  In my view, appeals are an integral part of the TBL process and well worth the time.
Best,
Holly Bender
On Oct 6, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Virginia Martin wrote:

I teach a course in argumentation, and having students develop effective
and persuasive appeals is a very instructive part of the course. I would
think it would be useful in other disciplines, as well.

Virginia Martin

On Mon, October 6, 2008 9:59 am, Sibley, Jim wrote:
According to a survey we did in 2007.....about 75% of all reporting TBL
practitioners use appeals

With my instructors (22 TBL course offering) only about 25% use
them...... jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Team Learning Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Christine Kuramoto
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 11:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: skipping appeals

Has anyone out there done TBL without the appeals process?

Christine

Virginia Martin, PhD
Dept of Communication
UAlbany

Holly Bender, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP
Director, Biomedical Informatics Research Group
Room 2254 Veterinary Medicine
Professor, Department of Veterinary Pathology
College of Veterinary Medicine
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011-1250
ph. 515-294-7947