Hi All,

I've made it through the preliminary TBL orientation and grade weight
setting.  Now my problem is how to get them to discuss in English.  My
class is "Scientific English" for pre-clinical medical students (116 in
19 teams) and the students are learning a lot of terminology, so I'm
trying to give them tasks that get them discussing and using their new
words.  The problem is that they tend to just discuss in Japanese and
then use English only when I call on the groups to report the reasons
for choices.

I'm stuck.  I can't thing of any POSITIVE way to get them discussing in
English.  I  have to stand over them watching and reminding and can only
think of NEGATIVE ways (i.e. pay a penalty for every time you speak
Japanese--I'd be rich! ;-) ).  My next class is tomorrow and I'm
wracking my brains for some sort of solution to my dilemma.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Regards,
Christine

PS  at the moment I'm basing the tasks on ethics case studies since the
students don't have the knowledge to diagnose, but do have /opinions/
about what is best in ethical cases.  I'm using the "no right answer,"
but choose the "best answer" according to your group discussions--
consensus is the key.

--
*******
Christine Kuramoto, Assistant Professor: Medical English