RE: Grading team exercises

We have generally graded the applications, but I would appreciate a continued dialogue about the pros and cons for doing so.

The points/grades certainly motivate the students to really think harder and work harder on getting the answers (both initially and in an appeal).  I would fear that not grading would lose they intensity of thought and work on the applications.  I know it could be facilitated in the discussion - but it would not necessarily involve all students - just those willing to debate.  It might be less of a team effort, who cares about their points - but just let "Mikey" answer - he always knows.

That said; however, there are times were faculty would really appreciate the loss of intensity of the arguments for points.  Sometimes students seem to be arguing only for points not for learning.

This may be a bit off-topic, but along with this debate of grading, our Faculty tell me it hard to make MCQ type applications (to use the simultaneous card report).  Partially, I think they are more used writing t/f, factual type questions - not higher order problem solving questions (you know - which of the following is true, all are true except, which is false? etc.)  So, rightfully so, they feel those types of questions do not lend themselves to as much critical thinking.

When we use the more open-ended options like list the top 3 reasons, explain in 20 words or less, draw a diagram: faculty believe thinking is enhanced, but that leads to the problem that simultaneous report and scoring is more difficult.  Plus, it take much more class time for the sharing of ideas/thoughts.

So we are always trying to balance class time, ease of administration, ease of grading with critical thinking.

And, in some past discussions, I recall someone writing that if they don't grade applications sometimes the students leave - don't participate - which defeats the learning purpose.

I'm inclined to keep the grading, continue to work with faculty to improve the quality of their question writing skills, and balance time (some of the open ended sessions went on for hours - exhausting for everyone concerned), but I'm not certain what we would lose if we didn't grade application?  Thoughts?

Sandy

PLEASE NOTE EMAIL HAD CHANGED - [log in to unmask]
Sandy Cook, PhD
Associate Dean for Curriculum Development
Duke/NUS Graduate School of Medicine