From: Team Learning Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Luk, John
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 14:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Team Learning and Interprofessional Education

Colleagues,

I would like to tap into the collective wisdom and experience on team-based learning for interprofessional education (IPE).  I have local collaborative opportunities to develop IPE for health profession students (medicine, pharmacy, nursing, social work, etc.).  I think that team-based learning would be ideal for IPE as an important thrust of health profession education is to promote delivery of team-based care.  Why not start with team-based learning of team-based care?  I welcome your advice and experiences in this endeavor.  One ongoing project is the development of interprofessional case materials for health professions training utilizing sanitized clinical material from our hospital system.  Faculty members and students from various local health academic units are collaborating in this project to develop the case material.  I think introducing TBL into the case design would be a natural fit.

Thanks.

John

John C. Luk, M.D.

Assistant Dean for Regional Medical Education

Assistant Professor of Pediatrics

UTMB School of Medicine

1313 Red River Ste 120

Austin, TX 78701