Hi Lara

We usually do about 2 week chunks (6 meeting hours).....usually 5-6 RATs a semester....20 question RATs (1/3 knowledge/recall, 2/3 simple application)....based on 50-60 pages or a couple of text book chapters....the reading are prep for the entire two week chunk

Use IF-ATs!  They are a must!

Accountability and Social Loafing

The IRAT provides individual accountability for doing the readings

The GRAT provides accountability and social pressure from your team to come prepared

Peer Evaluation provides the last social accountability to prevent social loafing and make sure students come prepared to help their team

Use Reading Guides

We provide reading guides....sometimes just prompting questions student need to answer during reading.....sometimes just objectives........sometimes we create a reading plan to help students learn how to read like "experts"....depends of content area
Pre-RAT In-class Activities

Some of my instructors will allow a few minutes of questions before the RAT....otherwise no pre-RAT in-class activities

You will get some complaints early on about testing before teaching (from a small number of students)....carefully explaining your rationales and expectations can help with this

Hope this helps

Jim

Jim Sibley
Director
Centre for Instructional Support

Faculty of Applied Science
University of British Columbia
2208-6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6T 1Z4

Phone 604.822.9241
Fax 604.822.7006

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web:
www.learning.apsc.ubc.ca
Blog: Adventures in Instructional Support: http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/wordpress/
e-Portfolio: http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/wiki/index.php/Jim_Sibley_Portfolio

© Copyright 2008, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively "message") is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.