Hi All,
I have been given a unique opportunity to deliver a clinical pathology
course via distance education to a group of 25 veterinary students at
the University of Nebraska next Spring.  I cannot travel to Nebraska
as I am also scheduled to teach a section to the 123 veterinary
students at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State
University in Ames. The course meets at both sites every day that
semester.  I have used team based learning successfully at the ISU CVM
for several years.   In that course we do individual quizzes and
exercises followed by team exercises almost daily, and then we meet as
an entire class to debate the responses.  Most of the exercises are
based on clinical cases. I am such an advocate of TBL that it is
difficult to even imagine going back to conventional methods.  The
current plan is to deliver a synchronous course by Polycom and
computer desktop sharing to the UNL students from Ames.  I am looking
to recreate what I have done locally, but from a distance.  Have any
of you attempted a synchronous TBL course from a distance and if so,
would you mind sharing your experiences?  I would love to hear from you.
Thanks!
Holly

Holly Bender, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP
Director, Biomedical Informatics Research Group
Room 2254 Veterinary Medicine
Professor, Department of Veterinary Pathology
College of Veterinary Medicine
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011-1250
ph. 515-294-7947