Youngjoo,

Thank you for your question.   Since I was the person who created
that diagram, let me try to provide some answers.

First, that diagram is not the result of a formal, empirical
study.  It is based on my own personal observations of lots of
teachers using and not using small groups, and using small groups in
different ways.

Second, the Y axis, referring to the quality of student learning,
does not refer to grades but actually refers to both the quantity and
quality of student learning.
         The quality of student learning refers to such things as:
    * If students learn some factual information, that is learning
but it has relatively low quality.
    * If they learn how to USE their understanding to solve problems,
that is higher quality learning.
    * If they learn all of that and learn how to plan and continue
their own learning about this subject after the course is over, that
is even higher quality learning.
         The quantity of student learning primarily refers to the
percentage of students who achieve a certain quality of
learning.  For example:
    * If only 10% of the students achieve high quality learning, that
is low (not good).
    * If 50% of the students achieve high quality learning, that is
much better.
    * If 80% of the students achieve high quality learning, that is
even better (very good).
I hope that helps explain the idea behind that diagram.

Dee Fink

At 11:06 AM 6/21/2008, Youngjoo Cho wrote:
>Hello!
>
>  I have some questions for the figure1.2 on the page 9 in the first
> part by Fink
>of the book " Team-Based Learning ".
>
>  -   It's not clear to me about the figure's specific foundation.
> For example,
>by what kind of statistic method, whom, how, when, where... etc.
>
>  -   And I need some more concrete explain regarding  " Quality of Student
>Learning " on its Y axis of figure 1.2.  What does the word " Quality " mean ?
>Does that say how high grade students got ( other words, students' deepen
>understanding on the key concept )  or how much students satisfied for the
>TBL learning ?  (  English is not my first language, so, sometimes,  it is
>difficult  to understand the common words in the context. )
>
>  Expecting your kind tip for my questions.
>
>  Youngjoo

L. Dee Fink                                     Phone: 405-364-6464
234 Foreman Ave                         Email: [log in to unmask]
Norman, OK 73069                                FAX:   405-364-6464
                 Website: www.finkconsulting.info

**National Project Director, Teaching & Curriculum Assessment Project
**Senior Associate, Dee Fink & Associates Consulting Services
**Author of: Creating Significant Learning Experiences (Jossey-Bass, 2003)
**Former President of the POD Network [Professional and
Organizational Development] in Higher Education (2004-2005)