Another issue with the gold-flake scratch-off IF AT: My TA overheard a couple of students talking about how a bright blue light behind the form revealed the location of the asterisk... I went back through the scratched-off forms (from that particular event) at that point and, indeed, found several with "precision scratching" (as you know, the asterisk is not in the same location for every question, but these students had found a way to find it!... not realizing that they also were revealing they had found a way to see the asterisk).

Have not had any problems with the gray coated scratch-offs....

Gary D. Lynne, Professor
Department of Agricultural Economics and
School of Natural Resources
103B Filley
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68583-0922
Website: http://agecon.unl.edu/lynne
Phone: 1-402-472-8281

"We are always only one failed generational transfer of knowledge away from darkest ignorance" (Herman Daly)
----- Forwarded by Gary D Lynne/AgEcon/IANR/UNEBR on 04/14/2008 07:45 AM -----

cc

Subject

Re: Problems with IF-AT Forms

Fritz & others,

I'd like to share a little information on the IF-AT forms and the problems people have been experiencing with them.

I have been using them for several years and they always worked just fine - until just a few months ago. Then, not often but a few times, people were reporting that the gold layer on their form wouldn't scratch off.
Before I could get around to checking with Mike Epstein about it, he called me (I use a lot of them, so we know each other) and said he had had some production problems and was changing the physical production: replacing the gold layer with some other material (looks like silver and gold to my eyes).
He then sent me some sets of the new forms, and I have not had any problems since then.

RECOMMENDATION: If you have any of the old forms with the layer just in gold, you might want to contact Mike, tell him how many of the old ones you have, and he will replace them, perhaps without charge.

My Best, Dee