At 08:49 AM 12/29/2007, you wrote:
Something else that's missing from the "health" TBL book is the "Setting Grade Weights" exercise, with which the class determines the weights of the various types of evaluation. Is this exercise available elsewhere, preferably online?

To reduce the math involved, my own inclination is to weight by providing different numbers of points for different things, rather than getting into percentages. For example, an IRAT question might be worth 1 point, GRAT 1, and end-of-topic 3. But that's what I would let the students decide, I guess.

Lane,

Here are forms I use when running the Setting Grade Weights exercise:
 - the Word document allows (requires) the teams to come to class with their initial decisions set
 - the spreadsheet is displayed in class to show the teams the class average (I've erased the formulae)
 - the initial breakdown of 1000 points in the syllabus gives the students a general guide as to my view, which they can adjust in teh Setting Grade Weights exercise

I found this level of organization necessary since I was using 40 or so teams in this class. You can adapt it for any number, of course.

My biggest challenges with incorporating the 'Setting Grade Weights' component of TBL were:
 - how to explain it to the students clearly and simply
 - what "stake" to put in the ground at the beginning of the semester - i.e., what percentages do we START with, so students see how their grade is calculated

So what I do is:
 - pick MY initial breakdown of points (and tell them if the class can't agree on Grade weights in one in-class session, we will revert to my initial point distribution)
 - use the forms attached to this message to run the exercise
 - update the syllabus and re-distribute this new point distribution after the exercise

BTW, virtually every class begins thinking that there is too much at stake for "team" points. And virtually every class ends up increasing the "team" points when they talk through the issues in Setting Grade Weights! (As Larry intended it to go, I believe. Then THEY'RE responsible for the choice, and you have buy-in!)

Hope this is helpful.

Andy

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.

        - Charles Darwin (1809-1882)
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
T. Andrew Finn
Visiting Associate Professor
Department of Communication (3d6)
George Mason University, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030

Office: Thompson 109d
Dr. Finn's mailbox is in Thompson 212 (the Comm. Dept. office)
703-993-4387 (office)
703-993-1096 (office fax)
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Web Site:  http://mason.gmu.edu/~afinn/