Nice solution!

________________________________

From: Team Learning Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Sweet, Michael S
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: non-zero sum "competition"

Sandy,

We reward bonus points to the teams which get the highest and
second-highest scores in the class.  Importantly, all teams can tie for
first place, in which case they would all get the bonus points.

This does two things:

1)  Rewards teams and not individuals (which, as you say, can get
"cutthroat")

2)  Gives the motivational nudge of perceived "competition" WITHOUT
there actually being a "necessary loser."

-M