I teach 1 Honors, 2 regular, and 2 team-taught (1/2 special needs mixed with 1/2 regular) classes. There are 25-30 students per class. Periods are 90 minutes long and meet every other day, with a rotating 2 week schedule.

This is the first year that I am attempting TBL, and am grappling with troubleshooting team dynamics. So far I have assigned roles: Leader, Assistant Leader, Operations, Networker, and Councilor. But am still trying to figure out how to empower the councilor & leader to address team stresses. Another component is assigning bookwork to individuals off task. 3 bookwork assignments result in the individual doing the same project by themself.

I am trying to address diverse range of abilities by being as explicit as possible my expectations. So far this seems to be working.

At this time, I do not use the team test.  I find that students working in teams on the preview packet, then an individual test is effective. My fears are: 1) The amt of time to benefit isn't compelling enough 2) I already have aprox 30-40 percent of the grade as team based, and am not sure if I would want to add an additional team based component.

Scott Kubista-Hovis
7th grade Life Science Teacher
Hayfield Secondary School
Alexandria, VA