It works great. I know lots of  k-12 teachers that use problem based learning, but no one else using my real world team project approach.

For example, our cell unit centers around finding a cure for cancer.

The basic format is:
1) Preview packet do in groups
2) Individual Pretest (aprox 15 question scantron)
3) Multiple mini projects: A) create a treatment for a human disease based on modifying organelle shape &/or function. B) Create a specialized stem cell that can repair specific heart attack damage. Describe how various organelles help the cell to do it's work in conjunction to surrounding cells, tissue, organs, & organ System. C) Final project is to propose a new cancer treatment using organelles that inhibits cancer by targeting mitosis.
4) Final review packet in groups
5) Final individual test

Kids love it and are fully engaged in learning. It beats having to push information onto them.

Scott Kubista-Hovis
7th grade Life Science Teacher
Hayfield Secondary School
Alexandria, VA

"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Message
Scott,

I see by your sig line that you teach 7th grade.  There may be others, but you are the first K-12 teacher I have heard of using all the main pieces of TBL.

What have you learned from adapting it to younger folks?

The social pressures and social skills of younger students are no doubt different than adults.  I am curious:  has this made much of a difference?

-M