I am preparing to use a Peer Appraisal feedback
form as a component of the TBL activities for a
class of undergraduate students in a human
studies course. The class is divided into five
learning teams each with six members.

The model I have introduced is based upon the
work of Wright State University Boonshoft School
of Medicine – Academic Affairs - the Peer
Evaluation Scale with 12 behavioural descriptors.
The form is initially set up to allow for the
student author's name to be removed prior to the
return to each member of the group.

The learning teams in the class have gently
challenged this step, suggesting that feedback
should be direct and clear and within the
accountability of working within a team, there
can be an opportunity to discuss the feedback
with the person providing the peer appraisal.

There are risks to providing the name of the
person completing the feedback, most obvious
being that students will shy away from lower
ratings for a peer, anticipating some negative
feedback. However, there is also a sense of
validity to the issue of including the author's
name and am wondering if other users of a peer
appraisal scale have experience of including the
names of the student completing the peer appraisal, and any implications?

many thanks

peter c.