Hi there Derek.

Thanks for your timely and comprehensive response. Clearly the student inquiry about anonymous feedback triggered additional thoughts for me, hence my posting to the listserve.

We have used a reference article on giving feedback which included many of the characteristics noted in your referenced article. We have also completed a team exercise in giving feedback based on some familiar team examples (individuals not being prepared or coming late for agreed meetings, as well as members working hard to include everyone etc). The outcome of the exercise was that several teams identified that this is hard to do, recognition that these skills had application to other parts of their lives where they might practice feedback skills and the suggestion that feedback might be given in person, privately or in the group.

We are also working on each team developing 3-5 norms, that speak to behaviours about how they do their work together. This can facilitate more comfortable discussion if a team member seems to be acting outside of the agreed norms.

Here is a copy of the initial material that I referenced.

In summary, agree with your recommendation and will be going back to the class to discuss the importance of sharing feedback clearly and in an accountable way.

thanks again for your response.

peter c.