In my experience, the reason for most of the problems is almost always the actual thing you have students DO.  The key to good assignments is having them make decisions--because the only way to do it is to discuss the issues and it's the discussion that produces learning.  I'm not an economist, but your statement, "we still have to write our graph" suggests that your task might be something other than deciding.  Do they really need to "write graphs" in order to develop an understanding of the issues?  I suspect not and, if so, the solution is modifying the assignment so that does a better job of promoting discussion of the concepts as opposed to focusing on the mechanics of "writing a graph."   I'd suggest that you modify the assignment so that they have to choose between graphs that you provide and make sure that you include "red herrings" so that you (and they) will know if they don't understand the issues involved.  That way, you can "listen in" and, when some of the groups have made a choice, it is really easy to nudge along the other groups.

Larry

Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
Central Missouri State University
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093
660/543-4124 voice
660/543-8465 fax

>>>Fritz Laux <[log in to unmask]> 02/23/06 2:55 pm >>>

I’m using TBL, for the first time, in an intro to macroeconomics course.  Would be interested in hearing from any co-conspirators, who teach economics.

All is going well except that students seem to be doing way too much foot dragging during the in-class exercises.  I pass out or describe the exercise and too many of them want to “negotiate”  about what exactly I want.  Then they want clarification.  Then, after warnings that they need to finish we have to wait because “we still need to write out our graph.”

We have a large number of remedial students, and that may explain some of this.  What I’m looking for are tips on how to get more productivity/learning out of the team exercises.  My feeling is that I’m doing pretty well on Larry Michaelsen’s main points of designing activities that require specific choices, with simultaneous reporting (if I could get more cooperation on that).

Perhaps I need a way to hold the groups more accountable for foot dragging and not paying attention.  Perhaps by doing this incrementally, I could make groups feel accountable for paying attention without provoking a revolt.  For example, (1) “Does everybody get the assignment?”  (and if not, another group is asked to explain so that the rest of the class gets to express their frustration at the foot draggers), (2) “Who is not done?” (with the implicit question being, if all others are finished, why not you?), I could implement this accountability without provoking a revolt.  My feeling is that being too strict won’t work because then the offending group will disrupt the class discussion.

Other tips?  Any silver bullets?

Thanks,    Fritz Laux, Northeastern State University.

!DSPAM:1576,43fe247a244506916642008!