I tend to be a bit stricter, explaining that anyone who does not take the IRAT ahead of time will not get credit. Those who want to contribute to the TRAT must write up their rationale for responses for me to give to the team so that that individual is contributing even though absent. I give no credit without these efforts.

From: Team Learning Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Beverly, Sandy
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 2:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: TBL and attendance

Hello from Kansas,

I’m using TBL for the first time.  My class meets once a week for 3 hours, so those who miss one class miss a lot.  I’m not sure how to deal with absences.  Here are my ideas; I’d appreciate feedback:

1)       Students who know in advance that they will miss class should turn in the RAT, any individual assignments, and the group assignment in advance.  I will share these materials with the group, and the absent student will receive individual and group grades as usual.  When students turn in materials in advance, it’s as if the absence never occurred (although if it happens frequently, students may be penalized in peer evaluations).

2)       Some students cannot or will not turn in materials in advance.  The first time this happens, they will receive the group grade for the RAT and the group grade for any missed group assignment.  If they complete the RAT within 2 days (negotiable), they will receive an individual grade for the RAT.  (My rationale is that some absences are unavoidable, and earning zeroes is a harsh penalty.  Peer evaluations will help keep students motivated to attend and contribute.  But, is this policy too lenient???  Alternatives??)

3)       For second and subsequent absences where materials are not submitted in advance, the student will receive a zero for any assignments missed.

Thanks in advance for comments,

Sandy