Fran,

I don't put a practice RAT into my syllabus, but shortly after team formation, I do a "memory" exercise with the newly formed teams so that they can see the benefits of the TLM and the RAT's (RAP).  The memory exercise is below (excerpted from a journal article I wrote for the Journal of the Academy of Business Education, 2003, 4, 63-70) :

"...Additionally, since many business school educators make use of student teams in some type of group learning format [e.g., Michaelsen, 1992; Michaelsen, Jones, & Watson, 1993], this exercise prepares the students to understand the nature of team member input and the group interactions which occur in the context of learning the subject matter.  The total time required for this exercise is 20-30 minutes (5 minutes for set-up, 5-10 minutes to complete the exercise, and 10-15 minutes for the guided discussion).

To begin the exercise, randomly assign the students to teams (5-7 student members per team) using a round-robin, count-off procedure (Fran, use this procedure if you have not formed learning teams yet).  Give the students a few moments to gather with their new team members and get acquainted.  Once the students have settled down, distribute, face-down, one copy per student, the worksheet included as Appendix 2.  Take care to instruct the students to leave the worksheets FACE DOWN on their desks until instructed to turn their sheets over.  This is important; the students must not look at the ten items until instructed to do so.

Once the students have their worksheets in front of them, read the story included as Appendix 1.  Read the story quickly, but clearly, and loud enough so that the students can hear you.  Once you have completed reading the story, instruct the students to turn their worksheets over and answer the ten questions as quickly as they can.  Instruct them to remain silent.  They may not ask questions.  Instruct them to turn their worksheets face down again to signal that they are done.

Once everyone has answered the ten questions individually, instruct them to get together with their (new) teammates and come up with team answers to the ten questions.  Instruct one member of each team to record the team answers.  Instruct the teams to discuss the ten questions as quietly as possible, so as not to tip off the other teams.  Once the teams have completed their task, instruct them to put the materials aside...

This is where I talk in class about the nature of the contemporary work environment blah blah blah and how team work is like "real" work...and how heterogeneous (diverse), permanent work teams produce "better" results...

...return to the exercise answer sheets, which the students completed previously.  Proceed through the questions asking for student responses, and provide the “correct” answers to the ten questions.  Instruct the students to score their individual answers to the ten questions.  The answer must be completely correct to receive credit (no partial credit is allowed).  Instruct the team member who kept the team answer sheet to score that sheet, as well.  Instruct the students to total the number correct (individually and as a team).

Have the students calculate the average number of individual correct answers within their team (a quick estimate is all that is needed).  Display these numbers on the board.  Then, ask each team for the number correct as a team.  In most cases, you will find that the team scores are higher than the average individual scores [Michaelsen, Watson, & Black, 1989]..."

Appendix 1

The Story[1]

Jonathan was driving along Edward Street early one evening when he heard a loud noise and saw two people walking quickly out of the corner store.  As he cautiously approached, they got into a small German sports car.  It was blue and had a license plate with “7-11” on it.  They drove off down Johnson Street.  He could not believe what he was seeing.  Then a man came out of the store screaming that he had just been robbed.  They took $200 in cash, twelve cartons of cigarettes, and the man’s wallet.  Thinking quickly, he dialed 911 on his car phone and the police showed up five minutes later.  They asked him ten questions.  Please help him respond.

The Answers

1.  Jonathan.  2.  Driving along Edward Street. 3.  Early one evening.  4.  Three people; 1 man (from the corner store) and two people (gender unspecified).  5.  No, no descriptions were given. 6.  The man was robbed of his wallet.  The story does not say that he was a store employee.       7.  No, the man ran out of the corner store.  8.  A small, German sports car, blue in color and with “7-11” on the license plate.  9.  $200 in cash, 12 cartons of cigarettes, and the man’s wallet.  10.  The story did not say that someone had a weapon.  The loud noise in the beginning of the story could have been a gunshot, but the story did not say.  Also, the man did not say anything about a weapon.

Appendix 2

The Questions

1.      What is the witness’s name?

2.      Where was the witness when the witness saw this event?

3.      What time did this happen?

4.      How many people were there, and what gender were they?

5.      Can you describe the people?

6.      Who was robbed? (Include their position and description if possible).

7.      Did this person run out of the office?

8.      Can you describe the vehicle they drove away in?

9.      Describe exactly what was stolen?

10.  Who had a weapon?

[1] This story based on the “How’s Your Memory” exercise in G. Kroehnert (1991), 100 Training Games, McGraw-Hill.

Matt

Matthew Valle, Ph.D.
Department of Business Administration
Elon University, Elon NC 27244