Hello! My name is Alicia Swanson. I am a graduate student at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN  working on my master's degree in nursing education. I have been exploring team based learning (TBL) as a teaching strategy in nursing education. As a part of my independent study for the semester, I have implemented team-based learning in my practicum setting. My practicum experience is in theory class related to pediatric nursing and specific disease processes.

I have reviewed the articles on the TBL website and read the TBL book. It is all wonderfully written information!! In addition, I have had a wonderful time exploring this teaching strategy. I was wondering would you mind me asking you questions via email about your experience with team-based learning?

First of all, have you heard of any nursing instructors or schools that have implemented TBL into their curriculum? If so, could you describe the course, how it was implemented, and your success with the strategy? I have seen a lot of medical education programs with TBL but nothing much on nursing. In my literature review, I did not find may references related to team-based learning. Do you have any other references that are of assistance to you?

Also, I have had a lot of student resistance in implementing this new teaching strategy. Do you have any suggestions for a smoother transition? I have even had students trying to sabotage the class period by not preparing in hopes that I may lecture the entire period. Also, the evaluations reflect that they want lecture and nothing else. How long does it typically take for students to "adjust" to this new way of learning? I have also found that they are complaining about how I am not "teaching them" or that it is like an "independent study." Have you experienced any of these reactions from students?

Any feedback or additional references and ideas would be much appreciated. I thank you so much for your time. Happy Holidays!!

Sincerely,
Alicia Swanson
This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.  Section 2510-2521.   This e-mail is confidential and may contain information that is privileged, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail message from your computer.