along with reading Team-Based Learning, co-authored by L. Dee Fink,  I would recommend Dee Fink's Creating Significant Learning Experiences.

After Reading the books I was able to succinctly define the learning goals ( applied here to an MBA level  marketing management course)

The exercises are formulated to meet various learning goals;

o       Learn and retain foundational knowledge

o       Apply and transfer concepts to new applications

o       Interpret and apply quantitative data

o       Develop and train critical, analytical,  creative and practical thinking

o       Advance and strengthen problem solving skills

o       Expand  and refine  written and oral communications

o       Integrate fundamentals with other subjects

o       Cultivate an understanding of  personal and social implications

o       Enhance the ability to assimilate new information

 After defining the learning goals, it follows to design the type of exercises that will develop and enhance the learning goals.

Exercise types fall in these main categories;

  1. hands on trial/feedback/reflection/retrial
  2. class/ team dialog
  3. skill building proactive activity
  4. action learning exercises
  5. problem solving activities
  6. individual reflection and articulation
  7. benchmarking knowledge
  8. post session reinforcement materials
  9. real world application
  10. knowledge review and application
  11. evaluation and feedback
I find when you create an assignment that gets students involved, the issue is making sure they make it out of the classroom in time for the next class!

Good luck in your design,

Maria Pinochet