Dear All,

I'm writing to reiterate a desire for responses to Lion's question on the grade distribution, rather than with any wisdom to offer.

I do have a suggestion for the IRATs, which I think others have posted before. I use a 5-minute limit rule on the IRATs, too. Everyone has 5 minutes from the time that one full team has completed the IRAT.

In terms of grade distribution: I am in my second semester of TBL and have not had good experiences with the grade distribution in either one, though other aspects of the strategy have been great. The first semester, the class finally came to a decision on grades, but took much more time than I had planned for. I think that one main stumbling block is that they do not understand how the peer evaluations will distribute the grade. And this is after I have shown them a sample like the one in the book, where two students have identical individual grades, but one contributes much more to the team and thus earns a much higher total grade. I have also made this example available to them online before the grade discussion. Yet in both semesters one or two teams have argued vociferously and long that the individual grade must be higher, because otherwise those who don't do the work will benefit unfairly. This second time around, one older student --who is also a teacher-- kept his team from coming to consensus, arguing that in the real world it is the quality of the intellectual PRODUCT that is rewarded. Again, I think he did not understand how peer evaluations would reward the intellectual product of those who most contribute, but I think also he may have been objecting to the fact that the team grade rewards other types of useful team behavior that are not strictly intellectual product. In this class, there was clearly no resolution in sight--with two other teams arguing for 60 & 70% of the grade to the team work, another for 50/50 and this one team utterly divided. So I made the final decision.

Any help? I'm about ready to take that piece of student autonomy away.

Kathy McKnight