Here's a long answer to a short question...

We have the first exam coming up Tuesday, so some student frustration was due to needing to know the "right" answer now. My intended right answers were D the hammer for humans and B young cockroaches for the second question.  I agree on your disagreement point and said to the class that, aside from the upcoming exam, it's more informative to examine how choices relate to the material to deepen understanding, communicate with others, improve critical thinking skills, etc.

Some info from our text relevant to these choices:
"Analysts attribute our success to two evolutionary adaptations:  a complex brain and strong opposable thumbs that allow us to grip and use tools better than the few other animals that have thumbs.  This has enabled us to develop technologies that extend our limited senses, weapons, and protective devices."
"Some cockroach species can go for months without food, survive for a month on a drop of water from a dishrag, and withstand massive doses of radiation."  (note this wasn't one of the choices given)
"They can usually evade their predators and a human foot because most species have antennae that can detect minute movements of air, vibration sensors in their knee joints, and rapid response times.
"In only a year, a single female Asian cockroach (prevalent in Florida) and its young can add about 10 million new cockroaches to the world."

A couple of groups stuck with an infant for question 1, since if you can't reproduce you can't survive as a species.  Opposing points (mine and another couple of groups) were yes, but in comparison to other species, we're not that great at reproduction; tool use really sets us apart.  One student felt that since humans are able to overpopulate the earth, that must be key to our evolutionary success.  (And that is important, but without our technology (medicine, drinking water treatment) the human population would be much smaller than it is.)

Then moving on to the second question, the teams that preferred infant for humans, switched to the cockroach leg (since the "right" answer wasn't young on #1).  Those couple of groups appeared more frustrated or perturbed than others - if reproduction wasn't the correct answer for humans, then, they reasoned, it couldn't be for cockroaches; the correct answer must be something more specialized, i.e., the leg.  They asked, how would you choose the answer for another species - another group (and I agreed) answered "it depends on the species."  As you might predict, that wasn't what they wanted to hear!

For the short term, I'll try to reinforce the ideas that came up Tuesday with more questions along these lines and also use some questions with more obvious answers to help raise confidence in the 2 groups that had the frustrating day.  Overall though, I plan to keep trying to come up with questions to challenge their understanding and promote some disagreement among the teams.

Thanks to all who responded with similar experiences as well as thoughts on fostering independent thinking without too much confusion and the value of cognitive conflict!
Beth