Changes in student AND instructor mindset with TBL

I think that over the past year there has also been a significant change in how I look at what I am asking students to do in TBL.  At first, I felt guilty that I was asking them to prepare for a test without my having lectured first.  It seemed unfair and unreasonable of me.  Then one day, after they'd been complaining a bit in class, I had the surprising thought that there was actually nothing wrong with me testing them on their ability to prepare for class.  People are tested all the time on their level of preparation for doing something.  I teach sport psychology and my students relate to athletes and I had the realization that athletes are tested on their level of preparation each time they step onto the court or into the arena.  Karla