I have been impressed by the range of experiences expressed in the last
half-dozen posts.  I will use some of them to prepare my students better
for what they are going to go through.  While I want to do a better job
of teaching, and like everyone, want to be applauded and rewarded, this
means doing a better job of using active learning techniques, not a
return to passive techniques.

I think I have learned important things about teaching and learning
statistics, from TBL and elsewhere: 1) people can only learn math or
stat by doing (listening, as to a lecture, is totally ineffective at
changing any behavior), 2) while I know that statistics is about real
life (see VIOXX and flu vaccine below), nearly everyone is convinced
it's a hoop to jump through--it's only a mechanical step, 3) team
learning has given me a way to establish realistic expectations of
students and most students meet them.

It is also worth remembering that with TBL, for students to do a good
job requires a lot more work, especially at the beginning. TBL requires
that students start working the first week.

I have seen the results and students learn much more.  Not everyone
likes it.

Regards,
David Smith

David W. Smith, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor, Biostatistics
Fellow, Institute for Health Policy
The University of Texas School of Public Health
San Antonio Branch Campus
voice: (210) 562-5512
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  or [log in to unmask]

________________________________

Other Comments:

I regularly get reamed on about 10% of my evaluations.  At the same
time, using TBL I get some of the best student ratings ever.

One of the most common complaints I get is the lack of lecturing.  I now
give a mini-lecture before each chapter.  I still get complaints about
not lecturing.  Another common complaint is that my class is
disorganized.  I've never been so organized in my life, even when I
taught in a Nursing school, which has the most  organized curriculum and
classes I've ever seen.  No possible criticism of my organization can be
justified objectively but I still get a small number of low scores on
this item.

These complaints, based on item analysis of my evaluations, are always
part of responses by students who give me the lowest rating  across the
board  they think they can get away with.  They just check off the worst
scores.  I would do what I can to give them a better experience, but
only subject to my standards of acceptable learning (see 1 and 2 above).

I  a lways give a mini-lecture. I base it on the theory (with some
truth) that no one remembers anything after 20 minutes and try to keep
it to that length.   (I rarely succeed.)   That way, I can say I always
give a lecture, regardless of the students' comments.

 My lectures have to cover the formulas and a sample problem.  But I
also spend time discussing the larger scale role of what we are doing.
I talk about the flu vaccine crisis and the VIOXX withdrawal (see
below), even when it has nothing to do with ANOVA.  No one has ever
complained about trying to link the local classroom activities to the
larger problems of our world, though I know I don't always do a good job
of this.

Problem-orientation and active learning are the only way to teach
mathematics and statistics.  My students MUST learn to do statistical
problems themselves.  Not just the toy problems in the text book, but
making sophisticated decisions that can't be verified in trivial ways
(looking in the back of the book).  The need to both see and do multiple
approaches to statistical methods and data, including numbers, formulas,
words, and pictures.  They need to present statistical information to
others in all these formats.  Why?  Because that is part of what they
will be doing the rest of their professional lives.  (If they won't be,
then they don't belong in our program.   We may not be appropriate for
their goals and needs.)  Moreover, they need to learn how to deal with
statistical problems that will come up in the future, not merely jump a
classroom hurdle.

My students must also learn to address the real problems of life.  How
did we ever approve VIOXX for sale in the US?  Both its approval and its
removal were decisions to which statistics was central.  The death rates
of VIOXX vs the control were different and statistically significant,
but neither rate was particularly high.  It took a thousand cases in
each treatment group to show a difference.  Someone, namely people using
statistics, must make these decisions.  (No matter what decision is
made, some people will die.  Don't forget that people died who were
taking the other drug.)  This kind of problem--the one with no obvious,
mechanical answer--is the meat of Introductory Statistics. The simple
problems, with mechanical solutions and easily verifiable answers, are
only the overture to the real stuff, though necessary.  Why? Because it
is the only statistics course my students will take  before they are
turned loose on the world.

This doesn't just happen once in a blue moon, we also had a dustup with
the flu vaccine last year, where one of the two major manufacturers had
its production facility closed (by another country).  The production
process, while standard, is long and potentially hazardous.  Each year,
in about Feb or March, someone must decide how many fertilized chicken
eggs to purchase in order to grow flu vaccine.  (Another statistical
decision.)  These orders must be filled in a very short time in order to
keep production on schedule.  (Leading to very tired spring chickens.)
Moreover, based on a limited number of laboratory results from October
and November of the previous year, the three or so strains of flu that
appear to be most likely to circulate next year must be selected.  We
all saw what happened when one of the two factories supplying the US was
disapproved for production in August.  Sorry, much too late to order
more fertile eggs.  Because of the seasonal nature of this particular
production process the fertilized eggs simply aren't available in
August.  What decision do we make then?  Do we let the market handle the
whole thing or do we turn to an administered system?   This is a
political and economic decision with statistical components.  (President
Ford floundered on just this sort of decision regarding swine flu in
1974.  Some think it made Carter president.  It certainly led Carter to
fire the director of CDC when he came into office.)  The decisions
required, each year, are political and economic and require statistical
information and statistical tools.  They are not easy and they do not
have answers you can find in the back of the book.

In any given year there are a lot more examples.

None of the options  we can choose as a society  are happy ones  or
simple ones, either with VIOXX or flu vaccine.   People will die
regardless of which choices we make as a society or as individuals.
With respect to flu vaccine, recent evidence indicates we might be doing
it all wrong anyway, maybe we should be vaccinating all school children
and skipping the adults.  This approach led to fewer deaths in Japan.
Statistics is about life (and of course death) with all its
vicissitudes.  This is the most important thing I can teach my students.