Robert,

Can you set course requirements so that the students have time to
complete an individual research project that is conceptually related,
but practically independent of the in-class team-work? In teaching
literature, I require individual writing assignments that either prepare
students for the in-class activities or build on them afterwards. I have
to plan carefully so that students have sufficient time to prepare well
for the team activities and write their individual assignments. For
example, the students might spend three class periods in teams making a
"semantic map" (concept map) of a play. Then each student on his/her own
chooses one concept that their team has mapped and writes a three-page
analysis of that concept.

Kathy

--
Kathryn J. McKnight