I’m trying something new this semester that eliminates students knowing each others scores, I’m having them take the individual RATs online on WebCT and then have them complete the tRAT in class using the IFAT scratch off forms. The online RATs have them same questions (10). The students have 13 minutes to complete it, they do not receive feedback or scores for the individual questions, they just receive the total score at the end. I know not giving individual question feedback is a bit of a problem but it cuts down on cheating by not letting them know which question they got wrong so their buddy can figure out the correct answer more easily. You have to assume that some of the will try to figure the questions out together. I did spend and continue to spend time on their Full Value Commitment which contain the following categories; be here, be honest, be prepared, let go and grow. They discussed these items within their teams and signed an agreement that contained the behaviors they would want to see and those they would not want to see from team members as well as the consequences if someone displayed unwanted behaviors.

Harry Meeuwsen

From: Team Learning Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Weldon
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 10:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Should teams know each members individual scores?

When we return the folders with the scores I include a list of the scores of all members of the group, but they are in a list in random order so there is no way to trace those numbers to a name.  Obviously in a 5-7 member group, some people will likely be able to figure out some of their team-mates scores, but it is never available.  An example of what I turn back:

Maximum score for RAT 1:  12 points
Individual RAT scores for RAT 1:  12, 10, 6, 10, 11, 8, 7
Ind. RAT average for the group for RAT 1:  9.1
Ind. RAT average for the class for RAT 1:  10.4
Group RAT score for RAT 1:  11
Group RAT average for the class for RAT 1:  11.5

With this information the groups can compare themselves with the rest of the class and know pretty much where they stand.