Greg,

I've been using TBL in history of science classes for the last year and a
half.  I, too, have struggled to work out a format that I am comfortable
with in a humanities class.  Last semester I used TBL with a class of about
70 students in a history of science survey course.  On the whole it was
successful, and I will use this method again.

The typical history class consists of lectures and discussion sections, and
the switch to TBL completely changes the way that I must think about the
questions I give to the students and the things I expect of
them.  Questions for them are very challenging to make--the idea of coming
up with objective questions over readings is something that I was
unconsciously taught to avoid, because such a focus was (I imagined) too
much associated with memorization of facts and did not allow for critical
thinking.

I'm finding, however, that the initial RAT work must be based on
understanding of the most basic information.  Otherwise the students rebel
and complain that your questions are tricky and unfair.  This is the time
that you want to make sure that the students really pick up on the
material.  For three semesters I wrote RAT questions that called for a much
more detailed understanding of the material than most students could get on
a first reading without any substantial classwork on it.  So I suggest that
for the RAT questions you should stick to some of the most obvious and
basic facts and themes of a work in question.  Do not try to ask them about
interpretations or anything that you would normally associate with a
critical thinking question.  Those questions must come later.

The group projects that I use give tend to be variations on the normal
essay questions that I would have the students write on tests at the end of
a unit.  The difference is that these questions must be answered in a
single class period (or sometimes one and a half periods) and can only be
produced after extensive discussion among classmates.  So you have to
modify those questions to ask for very specific kinds of information.  I
have come to use outlining extensively for these answers:  have the
students, for example, outline a letter that they might write in response
to one of the authors, or outline an essay that they would write in answer
to a question.  Here you have to be very specific in your instructions to
them to use complete sentences to explain the main point of each section of
the outline.  (I used to get a lot of sketchy sentence fragments that I had
a very difficult time grading.)  Also be sure that you are very clear in
your own mind what you think would constitute a good answer to the
question.  Too often, I think, in English and history and humanities
classes we judge essays on subjective qualities that are difficult to place
in an outline form (writing style, coherence of the essay, etc.).  One has
to always remember that these projects are written by a committee and they
are done in class without much time to proofread and polish.  What you are
looking for is a condensed argument, and you must be very clear about what
arguments will work and what arguments will not.

I've had students also fill in grids with individuals mentioned in a
work.  I just did this with Stephen Jay Gould's Rocks of Ages, asking the
students to place individuals that Gould talks about into one of four
categories that he uses to classify them.  This forced the students to
remind each other about different individuals and then discuss where they
fit in Gould's schema.

Finally, it is important to go over the results with the students after
you've looked at them and thought about them.  I often write up short
commentary about each group's projects and distribute it to all students of
a group along with a copy of the project that the group did.  If I've done
a good job explaining why they didn't do as well as they should have, the
groups improve dramatically over time on subsequent projects.

It is always good to have the groups create a poster for other groups to
see, but for the more complex projects toward the end of the semester, I've
found that it is necessary to have the students write out their answers on
notebook paper (which can be copied along with the comments and distributed
to all students of a group).  I will often do this along with a poster that
has one or two sentences on it that give the group's final analysis.  The
poster is discussed in class and the outline on notebook paper is graded by
me.

If you are meeting with TBL only periodically throughout the semester, I'm
afraid you will find it much more difficult to utilize it effectively
because so much of the work relies on the groups building on work that they
are doing daily.  I don't use TBL excercises everyday, but I almost always
have the groups think about a problem for 5 minutes once or twice in the
class.  If nothing else this keeps the groups together to build working
relationships and it brings needed focus to the topics that I'm lecturing
on or that I'm leading a class-wide discussion on.

In general, I find that throughout the group work, the students return to a
focus on the texts we are studying in a much more sophisticated way than
they ever did before.  They mine the text for material that they've read
and want to repeat.  In general, I find that it promotes engagement with
the material.  I know that it can be used effectively in the humanities, we
humanists face challanges that those in the sciences--in which worksheets
and problem-sets with discrete answers are common--don't have.

Stephen Weldon

Stephen P. Weldon, Ph.D.
History of Science Society Bibliographer
Assistant Professor
Department of History of Science
601 Elm St., Room 622
The University of Oklahoma